As with most food dishes from New Orleans, recipes for
Muffuletta are "uneke" and diverse. This version is based on a
postcard sent to me by family visiting New Orleans; of course the olive
salad may be adjusted to taste.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus sit time for olive salad*
Serving Size: 4
- 2/3 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 2/3 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup pimentos, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large round loaf of Italian bread
- 1/3 pound hard salami, sliced
- 1/3 pound ham, sliced
- 1/3 pound provolone cheese. sliced
- 1/3 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
|Click on picture for more images.
*Olive salad should be prepared at least 12 hours ahead of
time. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator before
and between use. To prepare olive salad: Thoroughly mix green
and black olives, pimentos, garlic, anchovy, capers, parsley,
oregano, black pepper and olive oil in a medium-sized bowl.
Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours. To prepare the sandwich:
Slice the Italian bread in half horizontally. Brush the bottom
half lightly with olive oil. Layer on the salami, ham, provolone
and mozzarella slices. Top with a generous portion of olive
salad. Place top on sandwich and cut into quarters to serve.