As with most food dishes from New Orleans, recipes for
Muffuletta are "uneke" and diverse. This version is based on a postcard
sent to me by family visiting New Orleans; of course the olive salad may
be adjusted to taste.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus sit time for olive salad*
Serving Size: 4
- 2/3 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 2/3 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large round loaf of Italian bread
- 1/3 pound hard salami, sliced
- 1/3 pound ham, sliced
- 1/3 pound provolone cheese. sliced
- 1/3 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
|Click on picture for more
*Olive salad should be prepared at least 12 hours ahead
of time. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator
before and between use. To prepare olive salad: Thoroughly
mix green and black olives, pimentos, garlic, anchovy,
capers, parsley, oregano, black pepper and olive oil in a
medium-sized bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
To prepare the sandwich: Slice the Italian bread in half
horizontally. Brush the bottom half lightly with olive oil.
Layer on the salami, ham, provolone and mozzarella slices.
Top with a generous portion of olive salad. Place top on
sandwich and cut into quarters to serve.