I had returned home after a business trip and made this
for dinner. Not only was it quick and simple, but the flavor and texture
was soothing and delicious.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes, includes porcini rehydrating time
Serving Size: 4
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pound three-cheese tortellini of your choice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shallot, sliced (usually about 3 large)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped, divided into 3 and
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided into
1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
Put porcini's in a 2 cup measuring cup and add enough hot
water to fill. Let stand about 20 minutes until the
mushrooms are soft. Drain and reserve the liquid. Chop the
Begin cooking tortellini according to package directions,
or al dente if freshly made. While tortellini are cooking,
melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add
shallots and sauté until tender and golden, about 4 minutes.
Add mushrooms and 3 teaspoons thyme; cook 2 minutes. Stir in
1 cup of the mushroom soaking liquid and cream. Boil until
thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and
pepper to taste.
Drain tortellini and return to same pot. Add mushroom
mixture and coat. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Serve with
remaining 1/4 cup cheese and teaspoon of thyme.