had returned home after a business trip and made this for dinner. Not only was
it quick and simple, but the flavor and texture was soothing and delicious.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes, includes porcini rehydrating time Serving Size: 4
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 pound three-cheese tortellini of your choice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shallot, sliced (usually about 3 large)
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped, divided into 3 and 1 teaspoons
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4
Put porcini's in a 2 cup measuring cup and
add enough hot water to fill. Let stand about 20 minutes until the mushrooms
are soft. Drain and reserve the liquid. Chop the mushrooms.
tortellini according to package directions, or al dente if freshly made.
While tortellini are cooking, melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium
high heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender and golden, about 4 minutes.
Add mushrooms and 3 teaspoons thyme; cook 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the
mushroom soaking liquid and cream. Boil until thickened slightly, about 3
minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Drain tortellini and return
to same pot. Add mushroom mixture and coat. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Serve
with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and teaspoon of thyme.