I found this recipe at Epicurious on the web. I
didn't have to make too many tweaks. I did reduce the amount of
lemon zest and use sour cream instead of crème fraîche since sour
cream is more readily available.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes Serving Size:
8 large tarts
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry dough
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, 1/4 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper, divided
- 1 pound asparagus, 1 inch diagonal pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup packed) Gruyere cheese
Heat oven to 400°. Thaw pastry dough and
then roll into 10 inch squares. Cut each
square into four squares. Use a sharp knife
to score a border 1/2 inch from the edge, around each
square. Do not cut through the dough.
Arrange the squares on two baking sheets
lined with parchment paper.
Melt butter in
a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add
mushrooms and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon
each kosher salt and fresh cracked black
pepper. Cook until lightly browned, about 4
minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cool
15 minutes. Add asparagus, thyme, lemon
zest, and the remaining salt and pepper. Mix
in the sour cream and Gruyere cheese.
Divide the topping and mound on the pastry
squares leaving the 1/2 inch scored border.
Bake for 18-22 minutes until pastry border
is puffed and golden brown.